Anxiety Induced Chest Pain

Picture it, a nice sunny day and you’re sitting on a lawn chair under a big tree sipping lemonade when all of sudden you get a sharp jabbing pain in the center of your chest.

You go from totally relaxed to “oh no!” in about 3 seconds. This is a very typical reaction to anxiety induced chest pain. Chest pain can create a swift and focused sensation of fear all over your body in what feels like an instant.

Your first assumption is that you’re having a heart attack and that you’re going to die suddenly. After several minutes of experiencing chest pain, even though you haven’t died just yet, you figure that it has to be something serious. Symptoms like chest pain may have even prompted you to visit the ER or set up an appointment with your primary doctor.

If you did go to see a doctor he/she probably put you through the paces of blood tests, EKG, stress test and maybe even a portable heart recorder for good measure. The tests all came back normal and you were sent on your merry way. But, you still get chest pain from time to time. So what is happening, can it be anxiety causing you to have these pains?

First let me just say that if you are experiencing regular chest pain and haven’t seen your doctor you should go see him/her asap. Chest pain really can be a sign of heart attack or other serious heart condition. Really I’m not trying to be an alarmist but this is just a fact.

However, once you have been through the hamster wheel and have been told that your problem is nerves than you might be experiencing anxiety induced chest pains. Anxiety does have the ability to make your chest hurt and it does this in generally six ways.

1. Gastroesophageal reflux disease or GERD causes your stomach to create excess acid which is “backed” up into your esophagus which in turn creates heart burn and chest pain.

2. Esophageal spasm : This causes your lower esophagus to contract and also disturbs the muscles in your chest wall. This is a random and involuntary contraction of a series of muscles.

3. Stress : High levels of stress over a prolonged period of time can cause muscle tightness and tension. This can lead to all kinds of aches and pains all over, including the chest area.

5. Panic attacks :It is also very common to feel chest pain and shortness of breath when experiencing a panic attack.

6. Precordial Catch Syndrome: PCS is usually seen in children and teens but has been known to affect adults. This is a seemingly mysterious condition that causes sharp pains for short durations, normally under the left breast or even the arm pit. And although the pain is sometimes piercing it is not dangerous nor does it require treatment.

I have read many articles that try to explain the difference between chest pain and a heart attack. As far as I can tell there is very little difference between the two. This is exactly why it is so important to see your doctor if you are experiencing new or different types of chest pain.

Once you have been checked out however you should relax and accept that not all chest pain is heart related. This is not to say that it isn’t frightening because it absolutely is. I’m just saying that you should try to put your mind at ease so you can reduce your stress level which would decrease the anxiety symptoms that create chest pain.

I have had this particular problem myself for about 2 years. And although you never get used to it, you can relax your attitude toward it. It’s important to get cleared not just for safety reasons, but also to reduce the amount of fear you have when chest pain does hit you.

Chest pain is varied so it can make you grab at your chest and pulse for days. Your heart can feel “warm”, you can have short jabbing pains, the pain may radiate to your arms and back, your chest muscles may vibrate, the muscles under your arm pits may be affected, etc. Chest pain can be an endless abyss of worry. So cut the worry off as it were and do what you must to be reassured.

For tips on how to relax effectively click here . And for a good explanation about the difference between heart attack and benign chest pain click here.

Comments

1. kyle says

so im a 23 years old male and thursday my dad had a heart attack and needs a quadruple bypass january 2nd. My dads just 47. Well when i got the news i got real tense in chest,heart rate went up, as well as blood pressure. the pressure is better and pulse is back to normal however i have shortness of breath, tight in chest and a ‘beating’ mild to moderate pain in upper left chest, just on and above left peck. the pain comes and goes but the tightness and preasure in chest stay. also occasionally happens on right peck. sometimes feels like heart beats in throat and this is 3 days later. i feel calm and suprisingly not too stressed. dr said my dads expected to do well, my question is what is happening to my chest? Should i be concerned about heart or could it be anxiety and a lack of sleep etc? Any info helps. thank you!

2. kisses1 says

ok so i went to the emergency room and they did an ekg and xray and they said i was completely fine but i still have chest pains how will i know if it is related to stress?

3. kisses1 says

hi,
    i’m 19 years old and i have a story to tell. one night i was off to bed and all of a sudden i couldn’t catch my breath, then my heart started beating really fast and i started shaking. i woke my mom and aunt up and told them to take me to the emergency room. i was really scared and had alot of things going on in my mind. well i had a ekg, and a x-ray and they came back good so in the back of my mind i was thinking well what happened? my mom told me that i must have had an anxiety attack..and i felt relieved..but i am still having some chest pain and i do have acid reflux…and it’s like when i eat certain food i start to have chest pain..so what could it be??

4. Shadow says

@Kisses1 Maybe it might be caused by just stomach acid which goes back up the oesophagus as you say you have Acid reflux. If your lifestyle is good (E.g you exercise and eat well and don’t smoke) then chances are chest pains are not as serious as Angina and Heart attacks. Could also be from stress. I have exams coming up and lately I’v been experiencing chest pains.

5. Jen says

I had an episode of chest pains induced by anxiety yesterday. I am under extreme stress this past week. I was in a meeting at work, laughing and not even thinking about what has been going on. About 15 minutes later, I went to supervisors desk to ask a question and I started getting chest pains, shortness of breath, dizzy, sweats. I ended up being taken by ambulance to ER. My EKG and blood work, looking for specific enzymes were fine. He started poking where my chest pain was and was very sore. Does anyone know what that means??? The doctor then acted a little funny and was pushing me to get a stress test as soon as possible. He put me on Xanax to help with anxiety, but does not seem to relieve my chest pain either. Any thoughts??

6. Chance says

Well last night i woke up at bout 3 a clock in the morning when i did my heart or chest started hurting really bad could not go back to sleep now i hope this helps see while this was going on my neck was really bad out of nowhere mabey i slept on it rong but i started worrying a little bit so woke up mom and dad and said my heart is hurting well they thought it might just be a heart burn well fells like its burning but there is something else my heart beat is really odd and im getting even scarder i tood some heart burn pills and felt better for a little while but neck still hurt and heart still beating oddly. Well i cracked my neck really fast it felt better then a few minutes later of just lying there in bed my heart pain came back. I went to the living room and sat up in the couch kinda just rested with my hand on my heart. Well i made it through the night but i woke up at about 7 this morning and right when i wake up i awoken to my heart hurting again its still beating oddly woke mom and dad up again and just took some more heart burn anti whatevers and got some milk well mom and dad are still asllep but i cant go back to sleep ive never felt pain like this before and its going on right mow so note im using my ipod while my heart hurts to right this please tell me what i should do or if im ok mom and dad still sleeping dont really want to wake them. Please it hurts. Im breathing fine. Only 14 and dont smoke i swear.

7. Danielle says

My stupid friend Luis is scared to go to the doctor and Im scared for him, what if he dosn’t go to the doctor will he die? :c

8. says

If the chest pain is related to anxiety alone then he will not die. But he needs to see a doctor to confirm that he doesn’t have a heart issue.

9. says

Honestly.. No matter what you try and think of your anxiety will NOT go away until you find inner peace within yourself. thats most of everyones problem. People just need to realize their problems..and if they can fix it than do so… if not, figure out a way to change it. I am 18 years old, 8 months pregnant with my first child, my family doesn’t talk to me to often, and my husband is in the United States Marines and over seas right now… believe me I’ve been suffering from anxiety since I was 16. Horrible anxiety. But its things like just writeing this comment that can help anyone calm down and make their day alittle better:)

10. Sick and Tired says

Hi
    I’m a 45 year old male.
    I have had a fear of flying all my life and have recently flown (and loved it).
    However prior to this I had been very anxious leading up to this and was experience chest pains.
    I’ve had this before and put it down to the stress and fear.
    Then I noticed the pain was occurring more when I exercised, even just a brisk walk and eased off within a few minutes of rest.
    I went straight to my GP who gave me and ECG (all OK) and some Xanax for the anxiety.
    Last week prior to my flight I really started to panic (more about the chest pain) and convinced I had Angina went back to see the GP – she got me to do a brisk walk and then when in pain gave me the ECG and took blood pressure. The ECG was fine but blood pressure was 195/110 which dropped back to 140/90 when back in her rooms and she told me the ECG was fine. I have been taking medication for hypertension for over 10 year but it has always been around 120/80 to 140/90 depending on how stressed I’ve been. I’m a very anxious person.
    I’ve been on my flight – loved it!
    But I’m still getting the chest pains when I exert myself and my GP said she’d give me a proper cardio-stress test to reassure me but she thought the pain was stress related.
    Sorry for the long post – Should I get the stress test? Or should I stop worrying – I cant find any references for my type of pain on the web – brought on by exertion other than Angina?
    Any thoughts?

11. Julie says

@ Kyle, I’m so sorry about ur father first of all. tht is one of the most horrible things that ive heard someone having to go thru…I’m happy however he is bouncing back n will b recovering soon :) i will keep him and u in my prayers!
    so, i have anxiety a lot. more recently in the last 8mo. or so. its frustrating as all hell n totally taking over everything in my life. including my children, work, vacations, etc. i honestly feel u are going thru a panic attack frm fear of losing ur dad. of course u are going to be going thru some sort of emotional trama right now. wht u r experiencing is normal. its taking a lot out of u, plus no sleep on top of it. tht in itself is not healthy for u. it body is crying out. there is absolutely nothing wrong w u. I’m pretty sure of it. maybe just to put ur mind at ease check in w ur doc n have him/run some tests.

i wish u the very best, all of u infact. anxiety is no joke!
    ~Julie

12. nuraan says

Hi I have been having tingling in my hands as well as pain in my chest and under my armpit I get sometimes short of breath and it feels like someone is sitting on my chest this only happens when I lay down I’ve been to doctor and he say I’m find but why am I feeling like this I don’t even stress

13. sarajoyce says

I’ve gone to the hospital numerous times over the years for pains near my heart. And right away I would spazz out all sccared. I would try to ignore it but it’d get worse so id tell someone. Then id feel like I’m crazy cus Id have a moment of feeling like I’m about to die. Then ill calm down and think ok…you’re fine..relax. I have chest pain all around my left breast. I’m only 18 so this frightens me to no end. My boyfriend and family all say its anxiety and stress due to the fact I jus moved out of my parents over terrible fight and I have 3 sisters there I miss and I miss my mom and dad but we fight too much. Also my dog passed away exactly 1 week before christmas and that commpletely tore me apart. I honestly know in my heart its all just stress and I just need to relax but I never can and I feel so doomed all the time. How can I relax and stop feeling so on edge and insane 24/7?

14. Mark says

Hi . Well I’m 22 I have had aniexty for about 5 months really bad I am on Xanax . I had chest pains I have been for blood tests and X-rays and a ECG . I always stress something bad is goon g to happen I hate it . I want to gett rid of it I don’t want to be on medication . I’m seeing a phycologist as well . I really hope someone can talk to me going through the same I live in Sydney just want someone to talk to going through the same . It be nice :) but I want my life bak

15. Bri says

Mark, I am the exact same way! When I was in college, I was studying for a final and was super stressed out about it. I ended up having stabing chest pains and going to the ER. Like you, I had x-rays, ekg, etc. and could find nothing wrong with me and sent me home. I would then worry about it happening again on a daily basis. It is such a scary feeling! I couldn’t take a breath or lay down without the feeling being worse. I recently graduated college and havent gotten a job yet and have been sitting at home by myself thinking about it happening again non -stop. Then, I started having increased anxiety just thinking about it and started having heart palpitations because of the anxiety. I went to a cardiologist and had more blood work, an echo and a heart monitor. All results came back fine. I am now on Klonopin for anxiety. However, I still worry daily about the pains happening again. It would be so nice to get my life back and feel normal again. I miss doing the things I used to do without a care in the world. Now, thats all I do is worry and it’s completely taken over my life! :-( I know how you feel and even though it sucks, it’s nice to have someone to talk to about it so you don’t feel so alone. Hang in there!

16. RICHARD says

My experiences are similar to all those above. After many years of anxiety and countless trips to the ER with suspected heart attack symptoms then presented with a clear cut guarantee that I am in good shape, I still believe, or should I say, my subconscious still makes me believe I am desperately ill and need medical attention with every little involuntary muscle twitch in my chest. I have regular panic attacks which push my heart rate above 150 bpm…fortunately I am a cyclist and can take the cardiac stress but I have known such episodes to last for upto an hour before and felt after the attack has finished completely exhausted. I have tried cbt with no effect I have been on beta blockers which are no cure as I need a high rate to cycle competively, diazapam is all I wish to take. Recently I have experienced a re-currence of anxiety after a short period of better shall we say health but the panic attacks have all but gone. A typical attack for me usually lasts anywhere from between a minute to several days. I find it difficult to frequent busy areas, am panicky whilst driving, become paranoid in supermarkets, cannot ride trains or buses, have been violently sick in an airport before flying to Sweden 5 years ago and have not contemplated flying since, have little confidence when dealing with people at work and generally feel that my life is absurd and beyond rescue. About the only thing I enjoy is cycling and even this due to the massive increase in heart rate experienced whilst riding has induced anxiety leading me to the conclusion that I will at any moment have a heart attack.
    I am soon to begin more cbt and hope that through some miracle I can start rebuilding my life and mental health as I am slowly spiralling towards some really bad places in my mind and have thoughts which deal with me taking my own life…I would, and have never planned anything and wouldn’t know how to go about doing anything stupid if theoretically I were to go about it…I find the worst time of the day is at night because mind even then is unable to shut out anxious thoughts…you know all the what ifs in life. I feel totally alone with this…I don’t know anybody else who suffers from this condition and so have to go about dealing with it alone…every day I am in pain and have little time to think about anything else other than my own pitiful situation which has forced a lot of people I have known for many years to become more distant…I think I must have changed a great deal over the years.

17. Mark says

I’m pretty much over living in fear I read the news a young person dies I start worrying same is going to happen to me . Every doctor says I’m young healthy iv had ECG , X-ray , blood tests . And I still don’t believe them . No1 understands aniexty unless you go through it . It’s a horrible thing Togo through .im always tierd no matter how much I sleep always wake up with headaches . I go to a phycologist . On Xanax I hate medication but if I don’t have it I’m worse . Sucks I think my time is up . :( I try fight it but seems I can’t break it just comes back . What is advice of people ?

18. Mark says

I hate that I been for stress test ECG blood work and doctor said aniexty buys I can’t believe them

19. Collette says

Hey Richard and Mark

You guys sound pretty down and out. I suffer from terrible anxiety too. As a matter of fact, I’m trawling the web now for sites like this as I have chest pains and reading other people’s stories calms me down:)

I guess that if you think about it logically, if we spend so much time ‘dying’ we’re not really living. Coming out of anxiety makes you realise how awesome life and living really is. Lots of people have beaten anxiety. The trick is to focus on the fact that each time you come through the anxiety and panic attack, that you are still alive. The more you focus on the fact that nothing fatal has happened before the more you realise that it really is just anxiety – that all that’s really scaring us is fear…

I’m joining a support group next week. Kind of hoping that it’s going to be all fight club and cooler than what I think it’s going to be:) Ridiculous hey?

I hope that it gets easier for both of you.

20. Erika says

For about a year now my mom has been having chest pain, pain in her jaw, tingling in her left arms and dizziness but then she goes to the ER and it is gone and her EKG, blood work, x rays and what not come back normal. The doctors think she’s making it up but she’s not… trust me, my mom would LOVE not to pay those expensive hospital bills.

I’m really worried that they are misdiagnosing her and one day something is going to happen. Has anyone experienced anything like this

My mom is 51yo and both of her grandmothers died from heart related injuries.

anyone have any suggestions?

21. Eddy says

Anxiety, how can one avoid this?
    Btw stay away from canned tuna is one way I’m sure of,
    the fish oil begets increased anxiety.
    Any other pointers? My left side chest and heart has been
    Frequently aching lately, this terrifies me esp. when I am
    under the use of marijuana.

22. Tom says

Im in same boat. 38 and have been battling what I hope is anxiety. Triggered from my dads heart attack and now looking back rude new Dr at the time telling me at 28 my blood pressure is gonna cause heart attack. Since then I have went to emergency rooms after feeling faint. Nothing. I have had 4 stress tests, 5 ekg and physcials, eko cardio gram and twic nuculear die. Yet I still cannot shake and often, to this day, after all that, when I have chest pain, I think im on my last leg! I never smoked and exerice a few days a week. When these come on I dont even feel stressed out above the norm and it can linger on and off for weeks. It runs me down. Then I will go a time period and feel half normal again.

23. Tom says

I am suffering from same thing. I have been fighting it for 10 years now. I guess one observation I would make is, how many of you know someone going through this, went to Dr for physical and heart screening, and is no longer with us? Probably overwhelming number of you would say none. In my case, the sure fear of heart issue is what drives me nuts and scares me. If I know without a doubt in my mind and had peace that it wasnt, I really think we could handle this entirely different. Therefore most of us deal with doubt and lack of trust as well as not realizing how many of us are going through similar. Conquer this, and I think 50% goes away.

24. Tommy says

I’m so grateful to read these stories, I feel so alone. I could have written most of these stories to a “T”, it’s uncanny. The chest pains and fear for minutes to days, being told how healthy I am, wishing I were dead just for some relief…. I’m not alone. This condition is as real as the keyboard I’m typing on. I recently tried to talk to people about it and though they are kind I feel that they wish I would not get better as much as just shut up about it. Every part of my life has fallen apart because of anxiety and panic. I drank my way through it until the booze almost killed me then things really went bad. Still sober for 8 years but have never felt worse. I reached my limit and checked into the hospital last month but left after 4 days and started a medication. Been through them all, none have helped. But they wouldn’t let me leave unless I tried something so I did. Same thing. Been a full time student for a year and things were ok then the anxiety came on worse than ever and now I will probably drop out and let another dream get squashed by this monster. I passed hopeless about 2 months ago. This thing won’t kill me, I’ve actually dared it to and nothing happens but the quality of my life is so bad that all I look forward to is death. My religious beliefs will not allow me to kill myself, thank God (irony) but I feel my life is over and I’m just sitting on the bench waiting for the game to end.

25. Tom says

Tom,

I assume like most of us, you have already had a physical checks and most everything is ok. Take one thing at a time, and enjoy in knowing that. Many are not as fortunate and do have real physcial issues. Find the good. Relax in knowing, your not gonna die.

26. callum says

hey guys i am 22 years old i have suffered with anxiety for the last 6 months , been and had all the tests done after having frequent anxiety attacks , all clear and healthy so says the docs but i still get tight chest pains in the left hand side of my chest and sometimes the pain spreads , i feel short breathed at times for no reason , i have stated taking cipralex but the side affects knocked me for 6 so i have stopped taking them , i feel there is nothing that can help me , reading your blogs does tho in a way that i dont feel like theres just me goin through this , it has affected my hole life and i feel like i could die all the time its scary , i dont know how you can control yourself when the chest pains start because sr8 away i think there is something wrong with my heart it drives me crazy

27. Tom says

Callum,
    As someone who has battled this longer than most on this site, let me assure you, youre physically fine. The first piece of advise I could give, is trust your Dr. That alone can help with anxiety. Learn to ignore the sensations. Exercise and eat right as best you can.

28. Tommy says

Tom, I have been fighting this for 28 years, the chest pains are a recent development. Before that it was racing heart, dread, and basic panic attack symptoms. I have and do know many people that are actually physically ill and I do feel very bad for them but I don’t consider this any less real. More people have probably ended their lives over the unbearable duration of anxious pain than organic pain. I almost punched-out a snickering doctor that gave me the, “it’s all in your head” line. Don’t diminish this and I’ll try to not exaggerate it.

29. Tom says

Tommy,

Dont know where you got the idea of anyone diminishing. It all starts in your head period! If it didnt you would have real heart issue for example. Think about it. The question you need to realize and others, is that, just because it starts “in your head” doesnt mean, its not real. It is! However, you after 28 years are a great example, that it is mostly not physical. YOu along with others, including me, need to have faith in Drs by now and relax in knowing, we physically are safe, before you do drive oursevels nuts and go over the edge. If nobody speaks of hope like im trying to do and you dont want to believe that, then what are we doing here. People need hope. Not the same ole crap!

30. callum says

thanks for the advice tom wish you and everyone else on this site the best with your fights with anxiety

31. Shauna says

I had a similar experience. Doc told me it was nothing, ECG did not report anything serious. I still had chest pain, and a fast heart beat. I went to 3 acupuncture appointments (appointments + Chinese medicine = $500) but all my pain was gone and my heart beat returned to normal. 3 years later the problem has returned, probably due to high stress, but I can’t afford the 500 clams this time. So I am studying acupressure and chi gong, and I am getting some relief, just not as good as acupuncture. Just be sure to find a good doc if you want to try acupuncture.

32. scott says

hi people i have tha same symptoms right now! had them for 8 days stright now. pain in my upper left chest heart area, and also nagging dull pain in my left jaw.we have an housefull; right now but when they gone i’m asking my neighbour to take me to a&e iv’e put it off to long now should of gone stright away. i’m absoloutly petrified!

33. scott says

i’m 31 and in good health i’d like to think! alothough i do drink and smoke weed used to do cocaine aswell but no longer do!

34. Dan says

So reading the commentes sort of relaxed me but I stress day in day out iv had chest X-rays . Ct scan (head) stress test ECG . Blood tests doctor says I’m fine but for 2 years iv worked up had head aces and always tierd can’t get rid of it doctor says blood is perfect so I’m fine but can aniexty give this much trouble ?

35. Tom says

Dont mess with health or ignore. But once you have seen your Dr and test they feel adequate are ran and blood work is taken, have some peace in knowing it is likely your anxiety. Anxiety from your brain and central nervous system can cause many true feelings that are similar to heart issue.

36. Tom says

Also, consider your blood pressue which can cause some of these feelings. You might need to get in better shape, or meditate, or take blood pressure meds.

37. Brooke says

Anxiety can most definitely give this much pain!! I have had it for a year now, it gets rough… but you’ll make it! Below is a list of every anxiety symptom you could ever experience, and what part of the body they are associated with, it has helped me a lot when I get a crazy symptom, this list reminds me it is only anxiety.

Common anxiety symptoms include:

Body (anxiety symptoms commonly associated with the body in general):

Allergy problems, increase in allergies (number, sensitivity, reactions, lengthier reactions)
    Back pain, stiffness, tension, pressure, soreness, spasms, immobility in the back or back muscles
    Blanching (looking pale, loss of color in the face or skin)
    Blushing, turning red, flushed face, flushed skin, blushing, red face or skin
    Body aches, parts of or your entire body feels sore and achy, feels like your body and muscles are bruised
    Body jolts, body zaps, electric jolt feeling in body, intense body tremor or “body shake”
    Body temperature increase or decrease, change in body temperature
    Burning skin, itchy, “crawly,” prickly or other skin sensations, skin sensitivity, numbness on the skin
    Burning skin sensation on the face, neck, ears, scalp, or shoulders
    Buzzing sensation in the feet, toes, hands, fingers, arms, legs
    Chest pain, chest tightness
    Choking
    Chronic Fatigue, exhaustion, super tired, worn out
    Clumsiness, feeling clumsy, co-ordination problems with the limbs or body
    Cold chills, feeling cold
    Craving sugar, sweets, chocolate, usual craving for sugar and sweets
    Difficulty speaking, moving mouth, talking, co-ordination problems with the mouth or tongue
    Dizziness, feeling lightheaded
    Dizzy, feeling dizzy
    Electric shock feeling, body zaps
    Excess of energy, you feel you can’t relax
    Falling sensation, feel like your are falling or dropping even though you aren’t
    Feel like you are going to pass out or faint
    Feeling cold or chilled
    Feel wrong, different, foreign, odd, or strange
    Flu-like symptoms, general malaise, feel ill, like you are coming down with a flu
    Flushed face, red face, flushed skin
    Frequent urination
    Hair loss, hair is thinning, or clumps of hair are falling out
    Head Zaps
    Heart palpitations, racing heart
    Hyperactivity, excess energy, nervous energy
    Increased or decreased sex drive
    Infection – increased infections, persistent infection
    Mouth or throat clicking or grating sound/noise when you move your mouth or jaw, such as when talking
    Muscles that vibrate, jitter, tremor, or shake when used
    Muscle twitching
    Nausea
    Nausea vomiting
    Neck, back, shoulder pain, tightness/stiffness
    Night sweats, waking up in a sweat, profusely sweating at night
    No energy, feeling lethargic, tired
    Numbness
    Numbness tingling, numbness and tingling
    Numbness and tingling, and other skin sensations on hands, feet, face, head, or any other places on the body
    Persistent muscle tension, stiffness
    Pounding heart, heart feels like it is beating too hard
    Pulsing or throbbing muscles. Pulsing or throbbing sensation.
    Red skin, skin looks like or is turning red
    Rib or rib cage tightness, pressure, or feeling like a tight band around the rib cage
    Sexual Dysfunction, sexual uninterest
    Shooting pains, stabbing pains, and odd pressures in the neck, head, or face
    Shooting pains in the face
    Shooting pains in the scalp or head
    Skipped heart beats
    Sore or tight scalp or back of the neck
    Startle easily
    Sweating, uncontrollable profuse sweating
    The floor feels like it is moving either down or up for no reason
    Tightness in the ribs or rib cage area, may also feel like a tight band around the ribs or rib cage area.
    Tingling sensations, anywhere on the body, including the hands, feet, legs, arms, head, mouth, chest, groin area
    Throat or mouth clicking or grating sound/noise when you move your mouth or jaw, such as when talking
    TMJ
    Trembling, shaking, tremors
    Twitching
    Unsteadiness, dizziness, feeling dizzy or lightheaded
    Urgency to urinate, frequent urination, sudden urge to go to the washroom (similar to urinary tract or prostate infection symptoms)
    Warm spells
    Weak – feel weak, weakness, low energy, light, soft, like you may faint
    Weak legs, arms, or muscles
    Weight loss, weight gain
    Chest (anxiety symptoms commonly associated with the chest area):

Chest tremors, trembling in the chest, chest feels like it is vibrating
    Chest pain or discomfort
    Concern about the heart
    Feel like you have to force yourself to breath
    Find it hard to breath, feeling smothered, shortness of breath
    Frequent yawning to try and catch your breath
    Heart Palpitations – beating hard or too fast, rapid heartbeat
    Heart – Irregular heart rhythms, flutters or ‘skipped’ beats, tickle in the chest that makes you cough
    Pounding heart, heart feels like it is beating too hard
    Emotions (see mood) (anxiety symptoms commonly associated with emotions, mood, and feelings)

Fears (anxiety symptoms commonly associated with fear):

A heightened fear of what people think of you
    Afraid of being trapped in a place with no exits
    Constant feeling of being overwhelmed.
    Fear of being in public
    Fear of dying
    Fear of losing control
    Fear of impending doom
    Fear of making mistakes or making a fool of yourself to others
    Fear of passing out
    Fear that you are losing your mind
    Fears about irrational things, objects, circumstances, or situations
    Fears of going crazy, of dying, of impending doom, of normal things, unusual feelings and emotions, unusually frightening thoughts or feelings
    Heightened self awareness, or self-consciousness
    Need to find nearest washrooms before you can feel comfortable
    Need to seat near exits
    Head (anxiety symptoms commonly associated with the head):

Brain fog
    Burning, itchy, tight scalp
    Dizziness
    Dizzy
    Dizziness or light-headedness
    Frequent headaches, migraine headaches
    Feeling like there is a tight band around your head, pressure, tightness
    Hair loss, hair is thinning, or clumps of hair are falling out
    Head, neck or shoulder pain, tightness/stiffness
    Head zaps, head tremors
    Giddiness
    Numbness
    Numbness tingling, numbness and tingling
    Shooting pains, stabbing pains, and odd pressures in the neck, head, or face
    Shooting pains in the face
    Shooting pains in the scalp or head
    When you close your eyes you feel like are beginning to, or will, float upwards
    Sore jaw that feels like a tooth ache
    TMJ (Temporo-Mandibular Joint) – clenching of the jaw or grinding of the teeth
    Hearing/Ear(s) (anxiety symptoms commonly associated with hearing):

Feel like there is something stuck in your ear, that your ear canal it plugged or blocked, that there is a pebble in your ear that you can’t get out
    Low rumbling sounds
    Reduced hearing, frequent or intermittent reduced hearing or deafness in one or both ears
    Ringing in the ears, noises in the ears, noises in the head
    Pulsing in the ears, throbbing sound in the ear(s)
    Tickle or itch in your ear that you can’t seem to get at
    Mind (anxiety symptoms commonly associated with the mind and thinking):

Afraid of everything
    Altered state of reality, consciousness, or universe feeling
    Brain Fog
    Deja Vu, a feeling like you’ve done or experienced something before
    Depersonalization
    Derealization
    Desensitization
    Difficulty concentrating, short-term memory loss
    Difficulty thinking, speaking, forming thoughts, following conversations
    Disorientation
    Fear of going crazy
    Fear of losing control
    Fear of impending doom
    Feelings of unreality
    Frequent feeling of being overwhelmed, or that there is just too much to handle or do
    Having difficulty concentrating
    Nightmares, bad dreams
    Obsession about sensations or getting better
    Repetitive thinking or incessant ‘mind chatter’
    Short-term learning impairment, have a hard time learning new information
    Short-term memory impairment, can’t remember what I did a few days, hours, or moments ago
    Spaced out feelings, feeling spaced out
    “Stuck” thoughts; thoughts, mental images, concepts, songs, or melodies that “stick” in your mind and replay over and over again.
    Trapped in your mind feeling
    Underlying anxiety, apprehension, or fear
    You often feel you are carrying the world on your shoulders
    Mood / Emotions (anxiety symptoms commonly associated with mood, emotions, and feelings):

Always feeling angry and lack of patience
    Depersonalization
    Depression
    Dramatic mood swings (emotional flipping)
    Emotionally blunted, flat, or numb
    Emotional “flipping” (dramatic mood swings)
    Emotions feel wrong
    Everything is scary, frightening
    Feeling down in the dumps
    Feeling like things are unreal or dreamlike
    Frequently being on edge or ‘grouchy’
    Feel like crying for no apparent reason
    Have no feelings about things you used to
    Not feeling like yourself, detached from loved ones, emotionally numb
    Underlying anxiety, apprehension, or fear
    You feel like you are under pressure all the time
    Mouth/Stomach (anxiety symptoms commonly associated with the mouth and stomach):

A ‘tinny’, ‘metallic’ or ‘ammonia’, or unusual smell or taste
    Aerophagia (swallowing too much air, stomach distention, belching)
    Burning mouth, feeling like the inside of your mouth is burning, or tingling, or like pins and needles, or all of these together or at different times
    Burning tongue, feeling like your tongue is burning, or tingling, or like pins and needles, or all of these, or all of these together or at different times
    Choking
    Constant craving for sugar or sweets
    Constipation
    Diarrhea
    Difficulty swallowing
    Difficulty talking, pronouncing certain letters or sounds, mouth feels like it isn’t moving right, slurred speech
    Dry mouth
    Feeling like you can’t swallow properly or that something will get caught in your throat
    Feeling like your tongue is swollen
    IBS
    Lack of appetite or taste
    Lump in the throat, tight throat, something stuck in your throat
    Mouth muscles twitching/jumping
    Nausea
    Nausea vomiting
    Nausea or abdominal stress
    Numbness
    Numbness tingling, numbness and tingling
    Stomach upset, gas, belching, bloating
    Teeth grinding
    The thought of eating makes you nauseous
    Tight throat, lump in throat
    TMJ
    Tongue symptoms – Tingly, “stretched,” numb, frozen, itchy, “crawly,” burning, twitching, “jumpy,” aching, sore, or swollen tongue (when it isn’t).
    Urgency to urinate, frequent urination, sudden urge to go to the washroom
    Vomiting
    Skin (anxiety symptoms commonly associated with the skin):

Burning skin sensations, skin sensitivity
    Numbness
    Numbness tingling, numbness and tingling
    Skin problems, infections, rashes
    Sleep (anxiety symptoms commonly associated with sleep):

Difficulty falling or staying asleep
    Frequent bad, bizarre, or crazy dreams
    Hearing sounds in your head that jolt you awake
    Insomnia, or waking up ill in the middle of the night
    Jolting awake
    Waking up in a panic attack
    You feel worse in the mornings
    Sight (anxiety symptoms commonly associated with sight):

Distorted, foggy, or blurred vision
    Dry, watery or itchy eyes
    Eye tricks, seeing things our of the corner of your eye that isn’t there, stars, flashes
    Eyes sensitive to light
    Spots in the vision
    Flashing lights when eyes are closed
    Your depth perception feels wrong
    Touch (anxiety symptoms commonly associated with touch):

Burning skin sensations, skin sensitivity
    Feeling cold or chilled
    Numbness
    Numbness tingling, numbness and tingling
    Pain
    Tingling, pins and needles feelings
    Other anxiety symptoms are described as:
    Being like a hypochondriac, muscle twinges, worry all the time, tingles, gagging, tightness in the chest, tongue twitches, shaky, breath lump, heart beat problems, head tingles, itchy tingling in arms and legs, and so many more.

In addition to these anxiety symptoms, you may also find yourself worrying compulsively about:
    • Having a heart attack
    • Having a serious undetected illness
    • Dying prematurely
    • Going insane or losing your mind
    • Suddenly snapping
    • Losing it
    • Uncontrollably harming yourself or someone you love
    • Losing control of your thoughts and actions
    • Being embarrassed or making a fool out of yourself
    • Losing control
    • Fainting in public
    • Not breathing properly
    • Losing control of reality
    • Choking or suffocating
    • Being alone

38. Mr. Advice says

Hello there, been the same situation as everyone else i am 38 and been having all the symptoms you mentioned for the last 12 years. Just one important ADVICE believe me and it will work. I have gone through medication, psychologists, psychatrists, cardiologists, emergency rooms… you name it. I have had all the feelings and sympotoms together and sometimes still do but in a very low degree and can live a normal life. I can fligh and i do every month because of my work something that i could not do for all my life without getting all the panicseven 10 days before my trip.

HERE IS THE ADVICE: DO NOT TRY TO FIGHT IT. JUST LET YOU BODY AND MIND FREE AND DROP ALL YOUR BODY DEFENCES. YOU WILL SEE THAT NOTHING WILL HAPPEN. LIVE WITH IT AS PART OF YOUR LIFE AND IT WILL GO AWAY. IF IT DID NOT KILLED YOU BEFORE IT WILL NOT KILL U NOW. GUYS BELIEVE ME. THIS WORKS. IF TRY TO FIGHT IT IT WILL COME BACK STRONGER AND STRONGER. JUST SAY I AM NOT AFRAID OF YOU. WE HAVE TO REALISE THAT WE CAN NOT CONTROLANYTHING OUR LIFE. WHATEVER WILL HAPPEN IT WILL HAPPEN.

39. Mark says

How are we all ? I’m still struggling I went for ECG well had 5 now echo stress test blood test but still convinced I’m dying :( its horrible feeling I’m 22 doctors tell me nothing is wrong I feel everything is eg headaces chest pains pins and needles I think it’s seriously something wrong wtf :( wish I could get through this. I play soccer worry the whole game I’m going to die with chest pains etc . Wondering how to over come :( I take Xanax scared its damaging me which sucks . Help :(

40. cristian says

hi every one i been like this for like 2 years i fill like something is crawing in my chest and have neck pain fill my left arm fills very warm then i can sleep. every time i go out i thick am going to get a heart attack i always have my finger in my neck to fill mu pus i need to fill it to clam down am scared i cryyy evey time i can not do anything i can not do anything i ust what this to go aqay and live my lifeee i just what to be happy

41. Sam says

How glad I am to have found this little forum! Almost every single website I’ve found has entries from 2004 or 2008, nothing recent, nothing that shows people are still participating and reading/posting. So glad that I’m not the only one experiencing this.

I’ve had incidents ranging from feeling like I’m on the verge of death to getting feelings of pains all over my body.

I think I can honestly say that my first two scary experiences were panic attacks. The first happened to me while I was in the bath – out of nowhere I kind of like ‘phased out’, like my mind went blank, my hearing turned off, my visuals had like a shutter effect (similar to visuals when you’ve inhaled whippets), I was confused – not sure what was happening but starting to realize something was wrong. My chest was heavy, I was short of breath and I felt like my life was draining and I would faint. I crawled out of the bath and into my room, and focused on breathing until I recovered.

I had figured since I hadn’t eaten any breakfast and smoked some marijuana (which is actually a normal morning for me, I’ve done this for years no problem), and on top of the fact I was in a hot bath, that I had low blood sugar or something and had a fainting spell. Then about a week later I was watching a movie with my girlfriend. We both smoked a good amount of weed, which is normal for us, and then I noticed my heart was racing a lot. Then it felt like my heart litterally jiggled and I felt this build-up followed by a release, or dispersal of whatever was building up in my chest. Then I felt this warmth over my chest which actually felt like it was sinking, and I felt the warmth coating consecutive organs as it sunk (chest, liver, stomach, intestines, abdomen, even my butt felt really warm. I thought, “Oh great, wouldn’t that be wonderful if my heart malfunctioned.” Then I felt very fatigued, like I could take a nap if I closed my eyes (which was odd, I was very awake 20 minutes earlier). I was very nervous and thats when I felt I was noticing the scary faint feelings from before – so I stood up and made my way to the door. Before I could get to the hallway I was consumed with dizziness and could no longer coordinate my movements. I stumbled backwards towards my girlfriend, unable to explain what was going on because all I kept telling myself was to breath – breath or else you will be deprived of oxygen until I’m unconscious or dead. I felt like a zombie – my arms outstretched and gasping for air, I literally keeled over while standing, staring at the floor as reality as I knew it was slipping away. Eventually I caught my breath and sat back down, out of breath, but thankful. This was followed by feeling tingly aaaaaaaaaaaall over, sweating profusely and feeling like a clammy fish, and then I started to shake. I ran upstairs to my moms room, kicked the door open and scared the crap out of her thinking I was dying. By this point I was shaking pretty bad and had to jump into the bed to warm myself and stop the shaking. This subsided and I calmed down after about 10 minutes, with the whole ordeal lasting about 15, although I felt like forever.

This was followed by days of feeling fine, but small episodes of feeling off-kilter, like something was off, my heart would race and I would have to step outside to cool off and get fresh air in my lungs. I started to notice I was getting strange pinch like sensations in different parts of my body, especially while I was riding my bike. I commute to work about 10 miles a day (I’m a seasoned rider who can do 60+ miles no problem, so I’m fairly active) and have been for a while with no issues until after my ‘attacks.’ I also started having ringing in my ears, more so my left ear, and it usually indicated that an attack or dizziness/anxiety was on the way. My heart would race and I would literally feel a build up of stress/anxiety/uneasiness. By then I had seen a doctor, had a blood/urine test done (results were normal), and had been prescribed a small amount of Xanax. Whenever these incidences occured, I’d pop half a xani and within minutes I would feel much better and at ease.

I tend to go a few days to even a week or two without rediculous symptoms. But just when I thought I was feeling better and hadn’t had any symptoms, I had a weird dizzy spell except it came on slowly (unlike the first few times). Started out feeling spacy and couldnt concentrate, then chest got heavy, I noticed my veins in my hands had constricted, and I felt my extremities go cold (cold but not numb). Then something happened that hasnt repeated itself (yet). A tingling starting from my inner armpit all along the inside of my arms to my last three finers, ie pinky, ring, middle – on both arms. This went on for over 5 minutes and I thought I was gonna have a stroke er something. Couldnt stand without gettin too dizzy, so I laid down. Tried to wait it out but couldnt, so after 5 minutes i popped a xani. Took a while but eventually I could stand again, took a few minutes for the arms to stop tingling, and I was back to normal except for the occassional prick feeling. This bothered me a lot because I had just had a good week of no symptoms, only to have this smack me right in the face.

That was a week er so ago and I haven’t had anything significant since, but I know its not gone. Actually I’ve had the random prick feelings more frequently, sometimes localized and on one side, sometimes with a pattern (repeated stings in the same spot), but most often all ranging all over (from toes, to thigh, to above the eyebrow, under my chin, and in my fingers). Every now and then I’ll get a sharp chest pain around my heart, which concerns me. I don’t have health insurance and I’m in the process of getting it – whether through medicaid (if I qualify) or through third party. I want tests done but cant afford it on my budget. I want to rule every possible thing on this earth before I allow the verdict to be anxiety. Ever since my first incident, life for me hasn’t been the same. Can’t go out and do what I want, constantly worrying I’ll faint again, and it affects my relationships because who wants to be around the guy who’s always freaking out about something NO ONE ELSE EXPERIENCES. Its very frustrating. However, sites like these really comfort me knowing I’m not the only one.

If anyone wants to contact me, chit chat, or share experiences – I’m all for it. I know what its like to want to talk to someone about it, and how almost all your friends are tired of hearing about it. I’m looking forward to peoples responses as well. Sorry for the long post, but I feel that providing as many details as possible is good because it can allude to possible triggers for anxiety.

Also, anxiety runs in my family and I’m probably just denying the inevitable. Its just my first incident was literally out of no where, I wasn’t freaking out about anything, I actually felt as if things in my life were finally seeming right. Then boom – anxiety attack 40 minutes after waking up one morning. Since then, every day is “I wonder whats gonna happen today.” Its tough, but I know that the only thing I can do is accept it and deal with it. Hopefully I’ll be set up with some form of health insurance, and get some tests done (and from reading all your responses, everythings probably going to come back normal – of course!). Until then, I will keep you posted.

Sam, 22, Fairfax, Virginia

42. Chelle says

HI there, Sam.
    I’ve been dealing with anxiety/panic disorder for over twenty years. Yes…it’s a long time, but sadly there’s been a lot in my life that has happened that has made it difficult to completely get over however, I have found ways to beat the attacks.
    First I need to tell you -urge you even – to see a doctor to make sure that what you’re feeling is in fact anxiety/panic disorder. Whereas the majority of your symptoms are very much like that of panic/anxiety, they could also indicate something else as well. It’s always a good idea when you’re not feeling quite right to at least be checked out.

I do not take medications. I have never found them helpful and to be quite honest, I don’t like to mask my problem by popping a pill. The only way to beat anxiety/panic or at least get a good grip on it, is to face the causes head on. Stress, work, family, and yes – even drug use – can ALL be triggers for anxiety. And another thing – constant worry or anticipation that you will have one, will certainly bring one on. You are your own worst enemy in this case, Sam. You don’t have to “accept” anxiety/panic if there are things you can do to help you get through it. Accept that you are prone to the symptoms, but don’t accept the symptoms because then you allow them to take over.

I have had tests upon tests done -cardiac work ups, blood work, PFT’s (pulmonary function tests), etc. I found out I have asthma which can certainly lead to anxiety/panic attacks because when you can’t breathe it’s pretty scary! I stopped smoking a year and a half ago after three trips to the ER. What I thought to be panic attacks were actually severe asthma attacks.
    Although my asthma is helped with medication, I still get the anxiety once in a while but since I’ve been working out, not so much.

I hope that you start feeling better. It’s no fun to go through but keep in mind you’re not alone. We’re always here if you need support!

43. Alan says

im almost 60 and have had Agoraphobia for nearly 40 years,i have kind of coped through life and learned to live with it,now im experiencing chest pain and weird heart feelings especially at night,sometimes i toss and turn and try to take my mind off it and sometimes get to sleep at 3-4 in the morning or sometimes just cant sleep,Im thinking its just major anxiety but i know i should see a Doc,trouble is i cant take any medicine or tablets because i think they will give me a panic attack,i panic just thinking that they will make me panic,anyway hopefully i pluck up enough courage to go see the Doc,thanks for listening.

44. kenyanscorp says

Dear Paul
    I ve been powerlifting and weights training for the past several years. This sport generally induces a coffee craving, and i used to have several cups. 6 months back during lunch, i developed a mild fleeting chest pain. I had deadlifted to 130 kgs the previous day. It sent me to a dizzying fear, palpitations, sweating and i thought i was having a heart attack. When i came out of the crowded restaurant i felt my breath return, but my anxiety continued unabated. Docs took my BP and it was high on account of anxiety.

Upon researching i found that millions of people are suffering from coffee induced panic attacks and the psych community has recently added it to DSM criterion. I stopped coffee, teach, fizzy drinks, chocos etc. Finally i saw a cardiologist, the EKG was normal and he put me through Betablockers and for a week, i felt better. The previous year i had to go to court on several occasions as a plaintiff and was very strenous. I had what is called the separation anxiety as my relations were trying to separate me from my wife and children.

I switched over from power training to cardio and light weights to burn the cortisol. Couple of months back, i felt some chest pain and took a singular betablocker, within a week my hypertension rebounded and went to the cardio with a mild tachycardia. The EKG was normal and was diagnosed as anxiety. The betablocker reduced my athleticism and exercise endurance and i started getting pain in the jaw.

I stopped the betablockers and started taking Magneisum and vitaminBcomplex. Within a week the anxiety improved. I presume the coffee abuse and power training had drained my cells of the Magnesium and vitamins. I am a teetotaller. Something of mention is i am a strict self discipline man with too many activities, and for the past 9 years had gotten merely 5 hours of superficial sleep. Now devoid of coffee i sleep good.

Since i workout, most exercises affect the chest directly or indirectly. Sometimes gaseous foods do the same. Sometimes anxiety causes intercostal muscle pain or sternal pain which is fleeting. Anytime this happens it is exactly as you mentioend i.e FEAR OF DEATH. I am scared to have another jabbing pain episode. It happens just when i am relaxing with my wife, or friends, it is something like a someone is practicing voodoo on you and they dont want to you to be happy. Being a medical person, i feel i have what you call the medical school syndrome of health anxiety.

Sorry for the length of the post, this is the first time i have vented out. Pls do reply.

45. says

Hi Kenyanscorp, what you described is very common. That is, an otherwise normal person whose anxiety is triggered by “something” and then stays in a pattern of anxiety. In your case, sounds like you’re healthy. You’ve been screened medically and are very active. Sounds to me like at this point what you’re suffering from primarily is anticipatory anxiety.

You think the chest pain, panic, or similar will come back at any moment, which creates tension and worry, more anxiety, and ironically, triggers the very episodes you hate and cannot explain. Palpitations happen, so does chest pain, and other random symptoms. The issue, however, is how you’re responding to that stimuli.

You gotta get back to basics. What is anxiety? How does it work? Why are you reacting so strongly when it is present? Is that reaction necessary and or helpful? You have to examine all those questions. And now that a doctor(s) has cleared you NOW is the best time to start that process. The result will vary for all people, but it’s an important journey to take. You have to learn how to desensitize yourself to the stimuli (all of it is harmless). You must unhook those negative associations that arent’ true but seem deadly.

In short, challenge your fears because at this point this is the only thing there is to struggle with. Hope that makes sense.

Kind regards

46. kenyanscorp says

Dear Paul

Thanks a bunch for your reassurances. The real reason being a site called bridgettwalther.com. It had a real doomsday prediction for all scorpios the begining of the new year, withing three days of reading it i developed one. Similarly in the last week of march there was another doomsday predictions concering the heart, and withing two days i had a severe episode of anxiety. It is exactly as you say anticipatory anxiety.

BTW i read your article on anxiety and heat and i felt it myself. The anxiety is so subconsciously buried that it takes a minor trigger to create a panic attack. It is akin to mental earthquake. Believe me even sex creates increased cortisol production in a anxious individual and can lead to panic attacks and make a you search for an ER.

I would like to share the lifestyle with you and all of my readers which has definitely soothed my anxiety to a major extent.

1. Get rid of all substance abuses including, coffee, tea, chocos, coke, fanta etc. Fizzy drinks contain phosphoric and carbonic acid. If you are an athlete all the more since it is contraindicated in atheletes and worsens the toxicity.

2. Do not get perturbed if your BP or HR is high in the doc’s office. It is bound to be whitecoat hypertension. My cardiologist was a gentleman who reassured me the same and told me it merely anxiety. The third time i visited him, he changed my prescription and refunded my fees!!!

3. Go for a healthy organic green diet full of vegetables and fruits. Take a lot of fruit juices. Carrot juice can detoxify. But carrot juice can cause a mild chest pain, so dont panic.

4. Go for beet root juice, not more than a glass, it will bring down your anxiety and is full of nitro compounds which strengthen your heart. Just google the health benefits

5. Get early morning exercises. Dont exercise before bed time as cortisol levels are high after a hard days work. Do 15 minutes of cardio and 15 minutes of light weights, believe me weights training will cool down your mind and body. Dont over do it just thrice or four times a week with every alternate day rest and recuperation.

6. Get a good nights sleep; very important.

7. City life and congestion can prevent fresh air, try relaxing in a place with open space like a park or beach or on the terrace.

8. Take multivitamins with vit B complex and magnesium. Substance abuse like caffeine or even fizzy drinks deplete magnesium and vitamins, this is the major cause of anxiety. Take it once every night after food. You will find your exercise endurance and light and sound sensitivity drastically improve.

9. Avoid BP meds unless absolutely necessary, dont try any without medical supervision. It can be dangerous and cause rebound symptoms. BP meds can pull down your exercise endurance as they slow down the heart beat and it will cause symptoms like chest and jaw pain. BP is a mere symptom of anxiety not a cause.

Thanks again paul for your wonderful site.

47. Mary says

Had anxiety and panic attacks for years, before anyone was diagnosing. I “found” a book in a bookstore on a sale table, and spent the night reading–it was “LIVING FEAR FREE” by Mel Green — a wonderful book that put me on the road to managing this malady. I then discovered Dr. Claire Weeks, and purchased all her books–have just purchased the CD of her readings from Amazon.com. I can often lower my anxiety by reading from her books. I take Depakote ER 250mg at bedtime, and have Xanax 25mg for “break-through” times. I do quite well most of the time, but anxiety can return at anytime, out of the blue. I find it most common AFTER a very stressful event in my life.
    Thanks for this website. It helps to read the stories of others.

48. kenyanscorp says

Dear Broke,

The list of symptoms is pretty long and accurate. One of the points is, skipped beats is always painful. That can cause chest pain.

Just a couple of minutes ago i was anticipating something stressful and my chest on the left lower side pounded a bit, that sent me to a panic mode. I would attribute much of these issues to the noise pollution and population density which though might not affect us at a conscious level does so at a subconscious one. Anxiety builds up subconsciously. Sometimes i find the peak during early mornings or sometimes during twilight hours.

Dear paul, as you correctly mentioned it happens when we are relaxing. Something like an evil spirit which doesnt want you to relax. That gets the self feeding anxiety cycles to go on.

When on a panic mode, dont browse the internet immediately computer cause light sensitivity and can put you on a panic mode, switch off the monitor and deep breathe, relax and then start your research.

I would definitely advocate Magnesium and multivitamins as it kills anxiety in a matter of a fortnight.

Trackbacks